Sunday, April 04, 2010
DOG THERAPYupdated for Franken
This is a great program.
For the Battle-Scarred, Comfort at Leash’s End
Be sure to watch the slide show.
The dogs, trained by prisoners, are assigned to victims of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder to assist in reducing the symptoms of PTSD and intervening when problems occur.
They are trained to jump on their human when s/he has a panic attack and to sense when it is coming on.
There are 87 commands that they learn to respond to. They can call 911. Turn on lights.
I can understand the ability to sense oncoming trouble or to respond to human distress.
On the few occasions that I have had "trouble", Booker is right there. If John and I are disagreeing he joins up to walk between us. If there is any unhappiness or stress he picks it up.
I occasionally get anxiety attacks. Doesn't everyone? Booker picks up on it and is right there.
I can see how this Program could be of immense help for an intractable problem.
Of course, service dogs are now used for a wide array of help programs. Autism, epilepsy and other episodic problems for example. And of course, the seeing eye dogs.
More on the program from CNN
Franken's first goal: Dogs for vets
Labels: 2, Booker, dogs, veterans