<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 15, 2010

CHANGES

One of the side benefits or not in going to the dentist is that I get to see some teevee.

I mean with sound and everything. Not like at the gym where they have the hearing impaired writeup scrolling (incorrectly I am sure) along.

Today, for the first time in a very long time, I saw Michael J. Fox.

He is reeling from the Parkinsons.

He holds his leg in place and kind of braces himself but he swings in wide arcs.

It is shocking to see.

Then the shock gives way to admiration. Here is someone who is open and out with who they are and what is happening.

He has a new book to promote which is a good thing for him and probably us.

I never saw him on his own show but I did see him in Back to the Future. I am not a fan. Just a witness.

In my first job, there was a guy who had the disease. His symptoms were different. He was confined to very small movements.

He was the head engineer of a rather large department.

No one pandered to him. He came in a bit late so he could avoid crowds and then would do the small half steps to the back of the office where he hung is hat and then went to his desk and board.

No one moved his stuff to the front of the office. No one did anything. He did what he had done since he went to work there.

He was a great guy. He could joke about his situation.

The company was good to him in many ways that were not obvious.

These guys are heroes to me.

Not in a "oh I am such a wimp compared to them" way. Because I am not. I have had shit happen too. I have learned to walk through it.

Role models. Or something.

Just friends. Whatever.

I know as many now who have stuff. They walk the talk and do the deal. God love 'em.

We are all "more human than otherwise".

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?