<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, March 22, 2010

LIFE AND DEATH

Today's film was the winner of the 2009 Foreign Film Oscar.

Okuribito / Departures (2008)

This is a rather western film about a very Japanese custom. The preparation of dead bodies for the funeral.

Yeh. Kinda morbid? No. Not really. Rather nice. Clean. Ceremonial. I wouldn't mind this at all. If I wasn't dead.

A young man falls into the profession. So to speak. Rather beautifully. With a wise older man who takes him on as an assistant.

We move through the phases of his experience. Some are funny. Others scary. There is an understanding of death that comes about in a very personal way for our hero.

And quite a lot to do with the subject of fathers.

I don't want to give much away as the film needs a fresh view for its most impact.

I would gladly see this again and maybe I will. You should too.

I will give it a 5 out of Netflix5.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?