<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 09, 2010

A LITTLE DIFFERENT

When I went to college there were a lot of guys there on the GI Bill. Korean War veterans.

Oh. Not a war. Sorry.

But these guys had been there and done that and we had not.

It was great to be around them. I remember them fondly.

Two guys roomed together in my dorm section (four double rooms on four landings) and we got to know them pretty well.

There was always that reserve though.

They were very studious. There was a lot resting on their grades. They didn't banter around with us. Occasionally they would go out to dinner but not a lot.

They were serious about women in a way that none of the guys in the unit were at all. Even the seniors. They knew where to go and how to do it. All the guys were in awe of this. How could they have those moves down so pat?

Of course, the guys were all at least five maybe ten years older than we were. They had been around. And they had been in war. The real thing. Not the ROTC crap which they had great contempt for but were kind about those of us who were doing it.

Now, it is happening again. The GI Bill is revived (2008). And quite generously so. Against George W's objections and veto threat. Can you believe that? Yes.

MIT which I work for has opened 300 new student slots to accommodate the influx. These guys are at Columbia. Do not miss the slide show. I so admire these young men.

From Battlefield to Ivy League, on the G.I. Bill

Wonderful. What these guys have been through. What they bring back for us.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?