<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

COVERUP AND BURY

Today's NYTimes Best 1176 film, finally available on disc, is Costa-Gavras'

Z (1969).

This is an exposé of the Greek junta as it arose in the wake of the assassination of an opposition leader in 1963.

The forces at work here are the usual. A sick blend of fascism and christianity working to establish a party-less state which would conform to their interpretation of moral law. Actually they are motivated by power hunger abetted by a group of bureaucrats who do not want to rock the boat.

The first part of the film is about the day leading up to the assassination in which all the events are laid out. The second half is about the investigation of the assassination by a prosecutor with a conscience.

It is a very good film. A very upsetting film. Well known. I have seen it, maybe two times. I would see it again.

These forces are never totally quiet. Some recent events have reawakened the fascist core that resides in this country. I do not mean the right wing idealogues here. They are part of the two sided democratic process. I am talking about the more deeply hidden gangs who want no parties and no sides. Just absolute power. Who are always ready to do what they can to worm their way into the process. Who use party and the system to hide their motives.

Just listen to that combination of hate-god-country. And you have it.

I might see this again someday.

I will give it a 4 out of Netflix5.

A note: There are still many NYTimes Best Films out there which have not yet been committed to disc. There are, for example, two new Hitchcock films which are listed just released. I will be feeding them in as I go my own way seeing mostly art house films and retrospective work of directors I have liked. Or stars. Upcoming is the entire Antoine Doinel series by Truffaut. Starts this week. Then later I will be seeing most of Jeff Bridges films. Like that.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?