<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, December 19, 2009

WHAT A HEEL

I wrote a while ago that I had gotten plantar fasciitis.

It is a lot better and, I now realize, not nearly as bad as it might have been.

This morning I met a guy who was limping. He has had the condition for ten months. He has more pain now than when he started treatment. He has been to "everyone" and is now with an "expensive" foot doctor.

They have used taping of the foot, exercise and other techniques. He is on a prescription anti-inflammatory.

I have done a couple of things. I tried arch supports. The first thing they tell you until someone else tells you it is all in the heel and you should have heel supports instead. My GP told me that.

I found that I could not wear my sneakers comfortably with or without supports. I started wearing birkenstock sandals and clogs mostly in the morning. In the afternoon, I switched to Merrell strap on sandals for long outside walking.

I tried the sneakers again without the heel and arch stuff. It was better but not right.

It occurred to me to try stretching my hamstrings and calves again.

I have gotten the most dramatic improvement from this. Quick. Dramatic.

I had read one of those anti-stretching articles and quit doing it some time ago. I am back to it. Also heel lifts on a machine.

Yesterday I wore sneakers to my interview. I was fine. I had taken out the heel supports. Good. I am wearing sneakers now. Three hours and walking. No pain at all.

It is all fucking trial and error. Like life.

I have read enough about this to know that very little is known about curing this condition but that I have either stumbled upon what works for me.

My take is that "no one knows anything" about it but they are willing to treat it anyway and collect their fees.

Even my doc didn't think I should go to another doc but try the home remedies and let the body take care of it.

Did I mention aspirin? I have taken it for its anti-inflammatory properties as much as pain and am now reducing it.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?