<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, December 14, 2009

SPAM MAGNETS SPAM GENERATORS

I have long eschewed membership in any social network like FaceBook or any of it. I just write to the inviter on regular email and say I have a long standing policy against joining up. That I view the sites as spam magnets and that I love to be in touch but regular email will be fine, thanks.

I have never been too sure of the spam magnet thing, frankly. It seems a good excuse but unproven.

Now, I have evidence. And not only for attracting spam but generating it.

Crooks Hijack Facebook Accounts, Injuring Dignity

Actually, this is only a sideshow. I am against the networking sites because I think they are the work of the devil. Substituting fake camaraderie for the real thing. Phony intimacy. The illusion of friendship. Pals at a distance. All that. The end of the world as we know it.

But I will use whatever argument I can when invited to join up.

Did you know that if you agree to be someone's "friend" that your entire email file will get mined and sent one of those pernicious invitations? I don't know how that works but that is what has happened to a few of my real friends.

I know. It is a useless rant. These things are going to come and go and I am powerless over it. I can only take care of myself.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?