<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, December 14, 2009

THE MAN

Paul A. Samuelson, Economist, Dies at 94

I took his course. Everyone did. I didn't get himself but his co-author of later editions of the classic text.

I knew him as the nice guy who came to lunch every day at Walker Memorial, the MIT East Campus Dining Hall where I worked, first as a flunky and then as the head student captain.

My boss was a friend of his so I would get to sit down with them from time to time.

He was a world famous man with the humble interests of an everyman. That, I believe, was the heart of his success as an economist. He never lost sight of the fact that the economy is people and he was a people just like the rest of us.

I knew who he was but since he didn't much care about the who he was neither did I.

He was a famed Kennedy advisor but would not take a position in the government lest it tarnish his objectivity as a scientist.

He was funny. "A woman is a man with less money".

He was unfailingly kind and interested in students. He taught throughout his active career. 14.01. The basic course.

He is also a hero. He got past 90 and died at home. Good for him. What better end?

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?