<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, December 18, 2009

INTERVIEW

I have an MIT applicant interview today.

When I do this, it really takes most of the day.

I sort of "get ready" and then go for it.

The interview lasts 60-90 minutes. Then I have to write it up. I like to do that in the same day.

So, maybe 4 hours in all are involved.

There are at least two more to do over this long weekend. Maybe a third later in the week. A guy whose councillor couldn't make a date with him. Next territory over.

Our deadline looms. It is all over January 1st.

I have had more kids this year than ever before.

The interview is very, very important for them and I try to take it very seriously.

There are 15,000 applicants for 1500 positions in next year's Freshman class. Ten to one.

I am the only live contact with the school for these kids. And visa versa. There are no interviews given on campus anymore.

When I went, I got to see the Dean of Admissions.

No more.

It is an all on-line process except for this part.

But the role I play is very MIT like. Tough. Fair. Facing the truth.

I don't like to see a kid who I know is not MIT material. I have to say that to the "home office" when it is true. And it is in a few cases every year. I don't tell the kid but I am honest with him as far as I can be.

But that it is the hard part. Sometimes, I get to spot someone very special. A oner. I had one this year.

I always wondered how I would know when I hit what they call a "plus one" applicant.

I knew it the minute I met this kid. It is awesome. Charisma plus and wildly smart in a great open armed kind of way. An open personality. Very little ego. Great.

He also had nearly perfect SAT scores.

And you know what? There is not surety that he will get in either.

I did my part with it and try hard to paint a useful picture and the gods take over from there. 10 to one. Goddam.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?