<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, December 24, 2009

GOOD SIGNS FOR THE FUTURE

I had an interview with an MIT applicant on Sunday.

It was quite enlightening.

My question: "We see what the Institute would give you. What would you bring to the Institute?"

This kid was comfortable with silence. He thought about this.

Then he thought some more. There was a little writhing around.

Then he said "my integrity".

Wow. Integrity. Usually it is some hackneyed thing like "my ability to work with others". Yeh. But what does that DO for other people really?

So he says "integrity".

We talked some about it. A long talk.

His idea here is that one's integrity involves being true to one's values. Not to conform, necessarily. And also to work toward having genuine values. Thought out. A moral standing point. A place to lead from and to model for others.

Pretty good stuff.

The kind of thing that makes me think there is a lot of good in the often criticized younger generation.

Well, I don't criticize, at least not generically, but you know what I mean.

This kid was right on it. He can do anything he wants with this starting point. He is bright. Smart. He is good looking and easy with his talking to an old guy.

I had a great time.

A week ago, I had a less than satisfying interview and I had to give a no-dice kind of rating and review. I don't like doing this. It makes me feel bad. But I know that I have to do it both for MIT and the kid himself. He doesn't belong there. They would eat him alive. Or "it" would. There was another one like that earlier.

I have one more interview to do for the year on Sunday. I had more kids this year. 16! Last year, 10ish.

I want them all to make it. Except for the two, of course.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?