<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

FUN WITH FREUD

Today's wonderful movie was Michael Gondry's

La science des rêves / The Science of Sleep (2006)

with Gael García Bernal and Charlotte Gainsbough.

The review says surrealism. I say Freud. Same thing. Sort of.

A self conscious young man and an eccentric young woman meet and nature takes a wandering course.

The young man gains "insights" from his dreams which we see. He moves in and out of the dreams. We are a part of them. It is great.

This film assumes that the viewer can think. And make connections.

The dreams are right out of the dream book and I (and you) have had some of them. I did not parse them all because I was enjoying things too much but there is a strong consistency between science from Freud on and what we see happening in the waking life.

The Freud connection is also there in that the boy has friends who act the id, ego and superego to his confused personna.

I am doing a lousy job of describing this film. It is a great film. Very funny. I want to see it again. That makes it, the first in a while, a 5 out of Netflix5.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?