<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

OVER THE TOP

Today's film was Matt Aselton's

Gigantic (2008)

This is a small film with big ambitions. Many of them are realized. It has some great parts. And at the end of the film, unfortunately, the sum is a bit less than the parts.

But I still enjoyed it.

There is a method to the madness here. A loser in life finds his way and "kills" his demon.

There are great actors here doing a great job. Paul Dano, who I adore, is perfect in the lead.

Zooey Dechamel, same thing.

Ed Asner, John Goodman, Jane Alexander.

Others to numerous to mention.

I love this kind of film. It has aspirations. It works new ground. It is refreshing. So enjoyable over the usual thoroughly market researched Hollywood pap.

That is why I rent most of these that I am seeing right now. They are "art films" which really do not exist anymore. They don't do well in the market. They are creative successes and theatrical failures. But they survive. More will be made. This director, Matt Aselton, deserves his status as auteur and I will look for his next work just as I look for Paul Dano's work. Because I am a film fan, not a movie goer. Two different things.

It gets a 3 out of Netflix5. Actually a 4 because if Aselton gets an ouvre going I would come back and look at all the work.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?