<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 24, 2009

JUST LIKE REAL LIFE (with makeup)

I didn't mention that I had a new flat panel plasma television in my San Diego hotel room last week.

Believe it or not, this was my introduction to HDTV.

Quite impressive technically.

Two problems. One is that regular video on the wide screen is distorted and looks, somehow, even worse than it would on my own set. I mean this for movies, actually. I didn't spend a lot of time looking at normal broadcasts as I don't ever do that at home.

Second problem. The HD didn't make the programs any better. Actually by heightening the reality it made the CNN talking heads look more over the top and more foolish than they do in the more fuzzy old-timey format. You can see them stoking their energy.

And the content sucks as well.

Television is such a wasteland. Newton Minow had no idea.

And, it is true that the makeup quality is critical. It shows. If there is a naked neck or whatever you can see that it is not covered.

Now that I think about it, the HD thing is quite distracting.

This is not true for sports. I mean the actual game. I found myself watching baseball!

It was so clear. You could see it all.

Grass blades.

Somehow the game I watched was free of all that graphic shit they throw on the screen.

All this is useful for me as I know that our video monitor will not last forever. Where we watch the movies. When the time comes, this set is just about right for us.

I don't know how big it was but it was just about too big for the hotel room.

That is my consumer report for the week.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?