<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, August 21, 2009

DRAWING ROOM

Today's NYTimes Best 1176 Film was Richard Linklater's

Waking Life (2001)

This is the one that first used "motion-capture" animation. The process immeasurably aids the dream process which is under examination. The invention and creativeness of this venture are extraordinary.

At first, I felt as if "this is where I came in". I remember seeing Linklater's first film Slackers and being blown away with its concept of events strung together by individuals walking from one situation to another and then another. Each situation breeding a new narrator and story.

This has one narrator or point of view person but is similar in that it is episodic and involves a set of scenes and situations generally linked with the problem posed by the film. What is reality in a dream world? Are we in a waking dream or awake dreaming?

Some of it is funny. Some seriously reflective. Some both.

I liked it a lot. It defies explanation but if you want a good try at it go to Ebert at the link.

Linklater has turned out to be our most innovative director. From tiny slacking seeds.

I will give this a 4 out of Netflix5. Maybe 5 if I keep thinking about it. I will see it again.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?