<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 24, 2009

DOWN AT THE HEEL

I have had a sore heel for the last week and a half. I figured a bruise or something.

But it hurts most when I first get up! What is with that?

Today, on the way to the gym I got a light bulb moment.

Plantar fasciitis. I love to type that.

Plantar fasciitis.

If you are 73 years old, nearly, you have this happen. You ruminate, you worry it, you let it lie and hope to pounce on it.

Somewhere a file drawer opens and out pops an answer.

This is the ailment that my runner friends feared above all others. I never had it. I stretched and worried but it never came.

Now, after not running for fifteen years, I have it. Fuck.

I looked it up and it is precisely the diagnosis.

What to do? Nothing.

Wait.

Stretch the achilles before I get out of bed. Take aspirin.

It says that one cause for "non athletic" people is a high Body Mass Index.

I am not low but I am just on the edge between "normal" and "overweight". Not "obese". "Overweight". Two pounds less and I am normal.

Maybe.

Is there some denial in here?

There is always the possibility that it is bone spurs but it came on pretty fast and there is the morning hurt before you walk thing.

I don't think so.

I have a friend who had bone spurs in his heel and he had to have an operation to remove them. He was on crutches for weeks.

I don't think this is it.

It will take some time for me to work on this and when I have cured it, I will tell my doc about it. My usual approach to illness of anykind unless it is, well, serious.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?