Thursday, July 09, 2009
DECONSTRUCTING THE MEMORIAL
Gail Collins does a good job that I had stepped away from.
Here is a sample. I would not have said this because I did not know it.
Still, it was a little peculiar hearing Brooke Shields’s weepy testimony about her deep friendship with Jackson given the fact that she told reporters that the last time she saw him was at Elizabeth Taylor’s eighth wedding in 1991. And while Representative Jackson Lee correctly pointed out that Jackson was acquitted of all charges in that child molestation trial, nobody really wants their memorial service dotted with comments like “People are innocent until proven otherwise!”
I, myself was going to make my assertion that the daughter was, indeed, coached to give her "best dad" eulogy. But I have no proof. It is just that, in this family, there has been no end to the exploitation of children and why would we think that it would stop now? Katherine Jackson, the current care giver, has been the ultimate stage mom all her life.And look at that camera angle. The look into heaven. The pin spot! Green backlight.
It turns out that the expected "great outpouring" of grief didn't quite materialize. It was big enough to be alarming to those of us who don't understand this kind of shit but not nearly as big as Diana or Reagan.
In LA, there were no "people in the streets" rending their garments. A T-shirt vendor with a thousand shirt inventory sold only 100. Tough times.
I know. I am keeping this alive. That is my part in it.
It is not going to go away anytime soon so I think I will hang onto it awhile longer.
It has limited satisfaction, though. Mockery can be a challenging and creative business but, here, it is fairly easy. Fish in a barrel.
Labels: cults, culture, evil bastards