<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, May 29, 2009

HOLY HORSESHIT!!

Today's film was a NYTimes 1176 Best Film. Luis Buñuel's

Viridiana (1961)

I suppose that, if I were Catholic and Spanish and it was 1961, I would be shocked, offended and horrified at this satire on piety, the church and the bourgeois class of Spain. Not only is it still the dark ages in the country at this time but Franco is still in power.

Buñuel had some balls.

As I am none of the above, it is hard for me to get all in a bunch about this kind of movie one way or the other. Gleeful to see the ikons destroyed or all shocked about it.

It is fun to see Buñuel at work. That is about it.

Fernando Rey is here as an uncle who despoils a niece who is a novice nun and then ......well, see for yourself.

Most famous, and you can't be ready for it the first time, is when paupers take over the Uncle's mansion and offer us a version of the Last Supper that will be long remembered. Action, freeze, action. And a wonderful joke about taking the picture with God's camera.

I will check it off the list as seen and noted and give it a 3 out of Netflix5.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?