<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, March 21, 2009

I GET LETTERS

I wrote that only one kid in my area got admitted to MIT and she is the one who I did not interview. She asked about it but never followed up.

I was a little bummed out about that but not too much. She was an early admit and probably didn't see the point.

The funny thing is that she sent me a thank you letter the other day!

Talk about your LOL.

So I wrote back wishing her good fortune and sorry that we hadn't had a chance to meet and "if I can be of any help" let me know. A good sport letter.

But today is the kicker.

I got an email from a sweet young man who was my first or second interview. He is Mexican and just recently came over. He had trouble with the language and went slowly but surely. He would shape the words with his hands when he had a bit of rough going. Everything came out fine but you could see him seeing the words. Beautiful to watch and not at all offputting.

Like me, he is a loner. But a doer.

I was quite impressed.

But I am not surprised he was not admitted.

In his letter he expresses his disappointment and then says:

At the end, this helped me to open my eyes to new experiences. Funny thing, I also proved my classmates that chasing your dreams, even if you can't reach them right away can help you. At first I thought they would laugh at me for failing to get into, but I thought wrong. By trying I gained their respect and admiration. I am thankful for that. And I am thankful to you too, who helped me try.
Very nice.

His email gives me a reason to keep on with this thing.

It doesn't matter if "my kids" get in or not. As I have learned before, it is journey and not the destination that counts.

As my young friend reminds me.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?