<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 23, 2009

MORE ON OSCAR

Now, here is an example of how the Oscars work. Which means that they don't as actual awards for quality.

I am very happy about Sean Penn winning and the writer of Milk too. Both made an impassioned speech about gay rights and gay marriage.

I am a Sean Penn fan from way back. I have seen every film I think. I would have voted for him as a hero of mine.

The writer, Dustin Lance Black is gay. He was brought up as a Mormon. He is also the writer on Big Love, the comedy about a polygamous family. He is also young. 34 years old. And a hunk.

See? These guys are heroes to me. I am happy. I would have voted for both of them. I haven't even seen the movie yet.

I did see Penelope Cruz' movie. I would have voted for her because she dumped Tom Cruise and I have always liked seeing her work in films. Same deal. Nothing to do with the actual movie which I saw and felt, while she was good, she was not all that good. I have seen her do better.

And so on.

These things are not about quality or merit at all. They are about emotions, politics and reputation.

That is OK but don't pretend otherwise.

The best movies of the year are not even seen by a large audience and are not nominated at all.

And so on.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?