<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

STOMACH CHURNING

So this is a big break:

At M.I.T., Large Lectures Are Going the Way of the Blackboard

I can remember the physics lectures in 26-100 as stomach churning events calculated to ruin my day.

The first one I attended left me behind in about ten minutes. He talked about vector analysis.

Now it seems simple but I was so freaked by the atmosphere (you could smell the flop sweat) and the fast talk (a Swede, good looking, lectured in near English) I decided I was no good at it and it took a whole year to get my mojo back. With a little help from my friends.

Most of that stress test shit is over at the Institute now.

As I look at my new students or applicants who are going into the tank, I realize that things will be quite different for them.

There is so much support for kids now. A good thing.

They now retain about 90 % after the first time. When I went it was 50%. My class started with 950 kids and ended with about 400 something.

Those were the good old days.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?