<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, January 25, 2009

IT TAKES A THIEF

Today's NYTimes Best 1176 Film was Alfred Hitchcock's

To Catch a Thief (1955)

with Cary Grant and Grace Kelly.

He used each of them three times and, while this is a pretty good movie, the burnout is appearing in both stars. It is their first time together. I think.

This was also Kelly's last film before she ran off to be a princess.

Am I avoiding talking about the film?

Yeh. I guess.

It is workmanlike, I was attentive. I only looked at my watch once. It is sumptuous to look at, the French Riviera. And the "who did it" part, while not a big surprise, is carried off nicely.

But not one of the best ones by the master.

It is also of another time and place. 50 years is a long time for costumes and plot.

It is also in Vista Vision, a big screen concept of the time, so there is an inordinate amount of footage devoted to speeding cars along hairpin curves. It would also have involved the early use of stereophonic sound, so the cars go from right to left and left to right a lot.

I will pretend that I am a sophomore in college again and give it a 3 out of Netflix5.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?