<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

PERSIAN EXISTENTIALISM

Today's NYTimes Best 1176 Film was the Iranian film

Ta'm e guilass / A Taste of Cherry (1997)

Ebert did not like it for all the same reasons that I did.

The feeling of the film is meditative. It has action but it is very mild. Most of it is riding in a Range Rover and talking. Various riders with the driver who is seeking help in committing suicide.

The reactions of the riders vary. Some freak out. Some have religious reservations. Like that.

Finally he finds someone who will help him but not without a very nice dialogue about life. Biting into cherries.

Maybe Ebert doesn't like the desert. That is certainly a part of the mood. Deserts. Oases.

I liked it and while I don't think that I would want to see it again I wouldn't object. That makes it somewhere between a 3 and a 4 out of Netflix5.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?