<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

ITALY ONCE REMOVED

I spend about three or four minutes a day in Italy or, rather, talking to someone who is right there on the spot and having a wonderful time.

John has left Florence and rented a car. Drove through the Tuscan hills through Chianti and on to San Gimignano where he spent the night.

He tries to call from some picturesque space every day. Actually, I call him but that is where he positions himself.

The other day he had a student demonstration in the square behind him. It is like NPR.

All is fine with him. And with me as the car was a worry for me.

He says it was easy. Not a lot of traffic. Like driving up to Idyllwild only longer. Twists and turns. He is happy. Hence, I am happy too.

Tomorrow, he will be driving the 'northern loop' to Volterra and then on to Siena where he will get rid of the car.

Sigh of relief here.

Then on to Rome where he will spend the rest of his time (five days) in one place. An apartment that he found on line. He had an apartment in Florence too. It is a good deal and gives some independence and local color.

I am a hotel man myself.

So far, the only down side is that he has spent more than he expected. Duh!

Everything costs something. So, they have learned from us, eh?

Good news is that the ATM card works there as advertised and the exchange rate on them is excellent. A 3 dollar fee.

As for Franklin and me, we are in pretty good shape.

I have been busy somehow. I think that being alone makes me less efficient and somehow time gets filled up. I have eaten supper late two nights now.

Normally when he is away I am eating early. But this could all be an unconscious thing. Compensation. Displacement.

It works. I haven't had any lonely or sad feelings! Sometimes suppression (or is it repression) is a good thing.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?