<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, September 20, 2008

WEIRDNESS IN THE MIDDLE CLASS

Today's NYTimes Best 1176 Film is Jane Campion's first film

Sweetie (1990)

I sat through the first third of this film ready to turn it off and declare it a 1 out of Netflix5.

But it held me. I am not sure why. The characters are not all that appealing. The art direction is very 'arty'. The feel is that of an avant garde piece or an experimental film. At times it feels like a documentary.

It is about a family and most notably about the relationship of the sisters. One a monster who holds the family emotionally hostage to her. Sweetie. Indeed.

There are some great scenes. A portion about a ranch in the outback and the handsome jackaroos who live there including a midget-dwarf. They are like brothers. Beautiful, life affirming ones. Anti-sisters

There is also a small boy who is (gasp) pretty normal. He gives perspective.

So there is thought and structure here.

As the monster sister regresses, the fearful, superstitious sister becomes more well adjusted.

Why am I writing this? To explain it all to myself.

I am actually raising the score as I write.

I wouldn't mind seeing this again at all. Maybe once.

Let's not go too far. I will give it a 3 out of Netflix5.

And Campion dedicated the film to her sister!

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?