<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, September 27, 2008

PAUL NEWMAN

When I was a teenager, I sat in the Buck Hill Inn movie house with my cousin Barbara going ga-ga over Paul Newman. I can remember Barbara saying that she couldn't wait for him to take his shirt off and my agreeing.

It should have been a tip-off huh?

So, I have to say that my first impression of Newman was as a gay boy.

But more than that, I think I responded to his obvious presence as much as his beauty. Everyone did.

Paul Newman had soul. Deep soul. If it is true that some people are 'old souls' he was one.

My appreciation for Newman and his work became more sophisticated over the years. He was always a hunk and he aged well.

I particularly remember him in Nobody's Fool, a great part for an aging icon. A rebel.

There is no end of praise for Newman's social consciousness. He gave and gave more and took moral positions without fear.

He had a life long partner. How difficult is that in that star-struck realm?

We saw him once. It was on a race track.

A friend had a Formula 4 racing car and we went to see him compete. He got us onto the center there where all the cars get ready to go.

Newman was racing that day. We went and gawked a little. He was immune to that kind of attention. He had a sort of dignity and grace of being present that didn't require the trappings of celebrity and everyone left him alone.

I remember his beautiful blue eyes.

So. Paul Newman died today. He was 83 years old. How could that be?

Where did the time go?

What a beautiful, beautiful man.

Paul Newman Dies at 83

With his strong, classically handsome face and piercing blue eyes, Newman was a heartthrob just as likely to play against his looks, becoming a favorite with critics for his convincing portrayals of rebels, tough guys and losers. ''I was always a character actor,'' he once said. ''I just looked like Little Red Riding Hood.''

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?