Saturday, August 02, 2008
READING LIST
This has been a busy time for the reader.
Three of my favorite authors have come out with their annual productions. Robert Crais has a new Elvis Cole book. Lee Child has run Jack Reacher through another situation that he will have to conquer alone. It has been on the best seller list for 6 weeks.
On a different plane, Alan Furst has produced another wonderful spy novel set in Europe in the late thirties. I love these books and am reading all of them again.
I am still working through Pat Barker's novels. Competed the Regeneration Trilogy. Almost all of her work is around WWI in England and in the trenches.
A new author to me is Ian Mcewan who has written many literary novels and most recently has won the Booker Prize for his work.
I have read Amsterdam and Saturday. I have enjoyed these so much that I am getting all his novels. Another project.
Right now, I am reading The Leopard by Guiseppe Lampedusa. This violates one of my rules. Don't read something you saw in the movies.
But I so enjoyed Visconti's The Leopard with Burt Lancaster (a Netflix5) that I wanted to read the book. Lampedusa died before his book was published and then went on to become a world class best seller in many languages.
It is a great book and it brings a lot of the film back story to the forefront.
The mood is very much like the film so I feel as though it is Lancaster on the pages. Usually this would be a reason not to read a book after a film but, in this case, it is very pleasurable.
Another bias to reconsider.
Labels: reading