<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, May 23, 2008

OUR LITTLE FRIENDS

This article is about the essential microbiome that all of us carry with us all of the time.

Bacteria Thrive on Inner Elbow: No harm done

Two points here.

First: The 6 colonies of bacteria that live on your inner elbow is the same as mine. Imagine. Another thing in common. The inner elbow. Not just the inner wo/man.

These bugs live in colonies. They cooperate with one another. They process fat.

Happy to meet you guys.

Second: There is this phenomenal human microbiome that collectively possess at least 100 times as many genes as the mere 20,000 or so in the human genome.

The powerful ally or allies is essential to life.

I am not suprised.

I know that I have all these little friends who do help me with digesting my food but now, it turns out, there are many many more, some unknown, functions that make up their days on and in my body.

Fascinating.

Once more we can see how our obsession with cleanliness will probably kill us. Notice the headline. "No harm done" assumes we see harm whenever we see a bacteria. Such nonsense.

We shower and wash obsessively. We slather on skin products and constantly shield ourselves from the sun with chemicals that no one really knows anything about. They already found one sun screen that is toxic. PABA.

We take wide spectrum antibiotics when we really do not need them and, most recently, sanitize our hands and bodies with these gels and bacteria killers.

How human. If you don't know what it does, kill it.

We may be killing ourselves.

I still do not use any skin products with scent. I don't use much of them at all. I use a moisturizer that is 'natural', period.

No sun blocks. Another insanity. Shielding ourselves from a major "source" of Vitamin D—the UV that we have evolved to live in.

I recently wrote that I was beginning to wipe my hands and the cart handle in stores with the germicide rags that they have available.

Maybe I will quit that and go back to living 'dangerously'.

We were talking about this last night. John reminded me of the old saying that a kid would eat a 'peck of dirt' before s/he grew up.

Now we know why. We need the bugs that are in it.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?