<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, May 16, 2008

FARCED UP

Today's NYTimes Best 1176 Film was the second in the Peter Sellers Panther series

Shot in the Dark (1964)

It was thought to be better than the first one and the third and god knows how many more they made but it isn't very good.

Anymore.

It has been 44 years and a lot of stuff has changed.

Naughty bits are not naughty anymore. we have moved on. The scene in the nudist camp is excruciating with its prudery.

And so on.

I got sleepy from time to time.

It claims to be farce but it is really a compendium of sight gags wrapped around an impossibly complicated who-done-it. I am not sure actually who did it or why.

Not that I cared at the end.

I am questioning whether Sellers was really that good. Perhaps we bought into his small bag of tricks because we were so sick of the Fifties comedies with Doris Day and that bunch.

He and his small comedy troupe in England were the precursors for the Pythons who were really the shit.

I will give this a 2 out of Netflix5. That means that I didn't like it but not enough to skip ahead.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?