<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, May 30, 2008

BACK TO THE LIST

I returned to the NYTimes Best 1176 Film list today with Ingemar Bergman's

The Silence (1964)

What a heavy reentry.

I take this as one more opaque drama about the battle between the id and the superego.

It has a bit of everything in it and there are even some taboos broken. A child sees a bit more than a child ought to see to say nothing of being in the middle of a significant triangle between two women. Sisters I think. Maybe not. At least one is a lesbian with a crush on the other.

I broke a rule and watched the dubbed version. It didn't make a lot of difference, I think, because a lot of what goes on is, well, silent.

This is some hard shit to wade through.

I think that Bergman was appropriately big in his time. He broke through a lot of limits to cinematic expression.

But the work has no legs.

It is tired.

I looked at my watch many times and felt sleepy too.

I will give the old Swede a 2 out of Netflix5.

I didn't like it but I watched the whole thing.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?