<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

IN THE BLOOD

I was thinking today about my angst over the election. Also my excitement.

Why aren't other people this aroused?

Then I remembered.

I grew up with a bust of Roosevelt in the home. My Dad was a vehement Democrat.

We went into mourning when Roosevelt died.

Seriously. Not just your light mourning. Heavy.

My Dad ran for Township Supervisor. The local elections were partisan. I remember the night he lost.

Not as bad mourning as for Roosevelt but deep.

Then, he ran for School Director and won!

He stood for reelection several times and finally stepped down a few years after I graduated from college.

I was political in high school. I was always running for something. Even when I didn't want it. And I wasn't all that popular. I remember winning by one vote for a club presidency. If I hadn't voted for myself I wouldn't have made it.

Well, of course, we vote for ourselves.

I didn't run for offices in college but I did win appointments. I went to the 'staff' side of things.

When I moved to Philadelphia, it wasn't long before I was the Treasurer of the Warminster Township Republican Committee.

Yup.

I don't think that I told my Dad.

Well, there wasn't any real Democratic set up there. It was the politics, stupid. That was what I wanted.

They needed someone who was naive and wouldn't ask questions.

I got 10,000 dollar checks from people who had no money.

I worried about it until the statute of limitations ran out. I decided that was the end of my 'staff' involvement in politics.

When I moved to Plymouth MA, I ran for School Director (like Dad) and lost.

I stepped for appointment as a member and later to run the Finance Committee which reviewed every motion in Town Meeting and made recommendations.

Then I ran for Moderator of the Town Meeting and won.

Shit.

Later, in Boston I participated in movement politics. Marching. Organizing.

I spent almost all my first 45 years in and around politics of one kind or another.

No wonder the adrenaline flows!

I am like a retired fire horse who hears the bell ring!

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?