<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

BOOK REPORT

I realize that I haven't been covering my reading over the last months.

I told you below about my current Richard Price Lush Life.Before that, I was working through the three works of Tony Earley: his short story collection Here We Are In Paradise which lays down the infrastructure of the characters elucidated in his first novel Jim The Boy and his most recent followup to "Jim", The Blue Star.

I had read the first novel and so I just got them all and read them together. Definitely wonderful.

These cover a time and a style of life that I was born just an inch out of. They are meticulously written with a lot of poetry imbedded in the prose.

I enjoyed them all immensely.

On the other side of the coin entirely, I have finally finished all 12 Jack Reacher thrillers by Lee Child

These are among the best of genré that I have read. There is a new one coming out this summer.

The thing about these books is that they are all quite different. One or two are written in the first person. The others in the third. The situations vary although the fascinating loner Reacher does not.

You learn more about him as the series goes on. It is funny that he has his own Wikipedia profile.

Fun.

But violent.

The other series that I am involved with had a new volume out this Spring.

Bernard Cornwell, whose total work I have been reading through for quite a while, has a series based on Alfred the Great in Middle Ages England which is not even England yet.

The Saxon Stories.

The fourth volume is out now and we are ready for the fifth due next year.

Cornwell is the creator of the Richard Sharp series, a 24 volume story of a soldier/officer in the long Napoleonic Wars.

I have read all but one of those and am saving the last for dessert some day.

Cornwell is an incredibly prolific author who maintains his quality all the way through. I have about 7 books still to go until I am finished with all his work.

That is a lot of reading.

All good.

And now, I have reported in full.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?