<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, March 15, 2008

THE DUKE

Today's NYTimes Best 1176 Film was John Ford's

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)

This is John Wayne at a turning point in his career.

Aging.

It is also Ford at the top of his cliché game in a beautifully photographed Monument Valley setting. The 'stuff' is really great. The buffalo, the horses, the atmosphere.

There is the usual supporting cast of Ford regulars especially Victor McLaglen who is an old favorite of mine.

When I was a kid, I saw every John Wayne film. Every one.

I remember that I did see this one. I was 12.

The restoration of this film is very good. The colors are radiant. The sound is full.

The only thing you have to endure is the theme song's repetition.

And of course, the sad stereotypes of the bad 'indians' and the good cavalry.

We lived in different times then.

Not necessarily the better for it.

But Wayne's performance here is really touching. An old man in a young country. Saying goodbye and goodbye and goodbye again.

There is a sort of second ending tacked on which undermines the central theme. I bet Ford was forced to do it.

But I didn't pay any attention to it.

I will give it a nostalgic 4 out of Netflix5 and ignore its political incorrectness.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?