<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

WHISTLEBLOWER

Today's NYTimes Best 1176 Film was Sydney Lumet's

Serpico (1973)

Al Pacino is Serpico. And Serpico is Al Pacino.

What I liked about this film is that Lumet made a headline story into a character driven screen play.

It is very close to the ground.

I remember when this happened.

I remember the clothes.

So it did not seem dated to me at all. I am sure that this shit goes on still today. And from time to time a courageous guy like Serpico steps forward.

It doesn't say a lot about the human condition, does it?

When they decided to make the movie about Frank's life called Serpico, Al Pacino invited Frank Serpico to stay with him at a house that Pacino had rented in Montauk, New York. When Pacino asked, Why did you do it?
“ Well, Al, I don't know. I guess I would have to say it would be because ... if I didn't, who would I be when I listened to a piece of music?"....wikipedia
The supporting cast is great and the action never lags while, at the same time, never going into overdrive.

Very nicely balanced.

I will give it a 4 out of Netflix5.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?