<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, November 11, 2007

ALL SHOOK UP

Today's NYTimes Best 1176 Film was

Jailhouse Rock (1957)

with Elvis Presley.

This is considered the best Elvis film.

Damning with faint praise, I would say.

I am not sure why this is on the 'best film' list but I suspect some niche placement. They had to put a few genré flix in there and this is one of them. He was a power at the time and I suppose it should be seen.

Now I have seen it.

I was not then nor have I ever been an Elvis fan so I had to watch this entirely on the merits.

They are few and far between.

Evidently the fact that there is a story line with more than a few threads and some good acting turned in by the supporting cast has turned this into a miracle film. Not so.

I had looked forward to seeing Mickey Shaughnessy who plays a supporting role. Even he seems stifled by it all.

It is dull and plodding and obvious and filled with dumb Elvis takes.

Of course we are dealing with a time warp here.

What looked great and innovative in 1957 now looks staged and sappy.

I was there but I don't remember how it looked then. Mostly I try to forget the Fifties.

It is also hard to separate the myth from the man from the movie.

It proves to be too much work for whatever benefit might be obtained.

Did I say that I didn't like him or it?

I will give this a 1 out of Netflix5.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?