<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, November 30, 2007

HIS HOLINESS SPEAKS

Today's movie was the documentary

Ten Questions for the Dalai Lama (2006)

I am not sure what I think about the Dalai Lama. He is appealing and admirable and all that but his impact on the world is probably marginal.

He is nice to have around when you want a gloss on your show.

His non-violent approach to world problems is no doubt correct in the long term but he is, ambivalently, a political leader as well.

He seems to succeed more with the former than the latter.

This documentary doesn't do too much to unravel the conflict between these two roles. I assume there must be one. A conflict, I mean.

In the beginning of the film, it is more about Rick Ray the docmentarian than the Tibetans. When we finally get to the questions, one cannot help but feel a bit let down by it all.

The gravity of the situation in Tibet and with the Tibetans in exile is explored in more depth than I had seen but there seems to be nothing but despair at the end of the situation.

Nevertheless, it was good to see the guy do his thing and I do admire him a great deal. It is a wonder that the way in which he was selected and trained has developed a man who has an overpowering intellect and a awesomely humble affect.

He is probably first and foremost a role model more than a solution to personal and world problems.

Which, I suppose, is his point when he says that it begins with me. Not them.

I will give this a 3 out of Netflix5.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?