<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 11, 2007

WEARING YOUR CALVIN

I am reading a great new novel by Denis Johnson called Tree of Smoke.

More about that later.

In it, a character is fixated on Calvinism.

Geeeez Louise.

I haven't heard anyone analyzing Calvin in decades.

John says that is because the fundies have overwhelmed all other religious thought.

And yet some of them derive from Calvin don't they?

No. Actually. He believed in predestination and that most of the prophecies had already happened.

I don't know.

It is interesting.

I have lived long enough to see fashions change in all respects.

You say 'calvin' now and everyone will think Klein. Whities. Wedgies.

I was never too hot on Calvin myself. A bit too dour and self punishing for me.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?