<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 27, 2007

RECOVERY

Today's film was Jesus' Son (2000)

I watched this because it was adapted from Denis Johnson's book of short stories. Johnson is the author of Tree of Smoke that I just finished.

It is a druggie film. It is funny/sad/tragic. It is also a drunk's story. Over the top and way dramatic. Some magical realism.

Well, he is high. But then he gets high sober. Very nicely done.

Which makes it a pretty good film.

Think Coen brothers if they were addicts. Well, maybe there are.

What is also good about this is Billy Crudup who carries the whole thing on his shoulders. Samantha Morton helps a lot.

There are some walk on stars.

I liked it.

I particularly liked that it has sobriety at the end.

Yes there are Meetings.

Yes, for once, they are rather realistic.

I like Johnson. I like Crudup. I like Holly Hunter who shows up at the end.

I will give it a 3 out of Netflix5.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?