<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 18, 2007

PETERED RABBIT

From the spring and through the summer, the rabbit population was very high.

I would have to ring my bell as I went parallel to the golf course so that the hares would hear me and go to their bushes across the path before I got there.

I lived in some considerable fear that I would run over one.

Times have changed!

The number of bunnies on my morning ride has decreased dramatically.

The population is petering out.

This has happened before. There was a virus.

This time, I opine that it is the coyotes work. They have been driven down from the mountains because of the drought.

There are also more coyotes. I am not sure why they woulod fourish during hard food times, but there you are.

I think that they are at the top of the food scale here.

They take dogs and cats. Well small to medium dogs.

I am worried about the rabbits though.

There are still enough to make a new nest of babies.

But I worry. The ones that I see are separated by some distance.

I want to introduce them to one another. Start a dating service.

These are desert cottontails incidentally. Near relations of the guys I knew back east.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?