<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

RACER

I was biking this morning and came to the 'bunny place'.

Well, actually it is about half a mile along a golf course and the bike path runs along the edge.

The rabbits are having breakfast.

When they see me coming, most run for the bushes; across the path and to the other bushy side.

Others sit and wait until the last minute.

I have a dread of running over a cottontail.

So this morning there were two or three who took a really long time to run across the path. I slowed and talked to them.

They didn't move. I went more slowly.

Then, out of the blue, this fully costumed spandexed asshole on what we used to call an English bike blasts by me and the bunnies who, fortunately, are too startled to move.

This is a common rudeness of fully equipped bikers.

They do not say hello when you pass. Not even a wave.

They come up behind and pass but do not warn; no yell, no bell.

It pisses me off.

I shouted my usual 'good morning' in my most mocking voice and then, the rabbits having taken off in the right direction, I decided to catch this ass clown if it killed me.

Which I proceeded to accomplish.

Reminding you that I have no gears, no special tires. Just a coaster braked Schwinn.

It took some real effort but I pulled up along side of him and just hung there.

By this time we were in the pitted parking lot of Demuth Field. He was struggling.

Surprisingly, I was not.

He peeled off and went for the sidewalk.

A pussy move.

I stayed on the road and maintained the pace all the way to the next intersection where he went left.

It was over.

When I got home, I found that I had gained three minutes on my time for this track.

Amazing what a little anger and a dab of competitive spirit can do.

The bastard never did say hello.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?