<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

WINNING IS EVERYTHING

I am still watching some films that I missed when they came around.

Today was

Friday Night Lights (2004)

with Billy Bob Thornton. Gotta love Billy Bob. He runs from hot to cold here and all you have to do is watch the face to get the whole deal. He is so good.

He is not the typical film coach. He has doubts. He is playing a role. It is a job. He believes that winning is the same as losing.

This is about high school football and you do not have to know anything about the game or even like it.

God knows, I do not have a clue.

But I sure liked this film.

Part of the point is the pressure of winning. Another is just the playing and the team and all.

It is a football film with many different spins.

The whole thing is shot handheld as far as I could see. Everything.

This brings a raw immediacy to every scene.

It is edited to the ass. Tension.

There are no wasted minutes.

I remember realizing that we were at the big game and the film had a half hour left to play. I groaned inwardly.

And then was shocked when that half hour was over.

This is a solid 4 out of Netflix5.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?