<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 10, 2007

POT HEAD

I know that this article is true.

A No-Frills Kitchen Still Cooks

When I first started out cooking I got all my stuff from a restaurant supply place behind City Hall in Boston.

I still have the heavy steel clad aluminum cookware from that time and use it every day.

There are a couple knives, a collander, strainer, some other stuff that are original.

Then, I got affluent and went for the frills.

Our house on Warren Avenue had two ovens (one convection) and a barbecue grill with volcano stone.

What I loved most is that all the shelves were wide open. No doors.

And I got all the stuff; the blenders, the knives and implements.

I had some restraint because I knew it was, like the pocket hankie, mostly for show and not for blow.

When we moved here, I left a lot back east.

I am back to basics again.

What I kept are the things I bought at the restaurant supply place.

Full circle.

The stove is a Magic Chef; the same brand my mom had. All gas.

It is a comfort. I never lack for the right tools. There is nothing in the mix that goes unused.

Well, maybe that little hand dicer I bought on a whim a few years ago.

Oh. The food is simpler too.

I don't cook as much as I prepare the meals now.

So much in the stores are pre-processed and portion controlled for two that it is dumb not to take advantage.

Simple.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?