<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 17, 2007

911

My wireless wouldn't work. I fired the backup laptop to get software updates and it failed. No signal.

I tried the browser. Nada.

I tried the mail. Empty.

I tried all the tricks (except one).

So I called John our MacMedic.

He is a self taught Mac consultant who can do it all. He can even field strip the machines and reassemble blindfolded.

The immediate problem was simple. I needed to turn off all the machines on the router.

Then turn the router off and let it rest.

John is big on letting the computer or other device cool out. Rethink. Reset itself.

We sit and talk.

Five minutes.

Then back to the router. Boot it up. Turn on the computers. Voila!

Shit. I could have done that.

But I didn't.

The problem is/was actually deeper.

The laptop needed a thorough going over with a disc cleaner.

I have had it for 6? years. More.

And I have never, ever cleaned up the 'permissions' or anything.

John ran it through the laundry and got it all clean again.

It is like going to the dentist every so often. You just gotta have your computer cleaned up every year or two.

After it was all over, I did install Macaroni which is an automatic cleaner that does a pretty good job.

I have it on the big Macs. I just never bothered with my backup.

Now, I ask you. If you have a flat, what is the most important tire on the car?

The spare. right?

Same with the backup computer.

Gotta have air, clean air, in it.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?