<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, April 08, 2007

WARM HEARTS/COLD CITY

Today's film was

Aurora Borealis (2005)

with Donald Sutherland, Louise Fletcher, Juliette Lewis and a nice boy I had not seen before, Joshua Jackson.

I know that I am into a film when I get sniffy during the first 15 minutes.

Fletcher and Sutherland play grandparents facing his decline and Jackson plays the slacker grandson who has dug himself a comfortable hole/home in the wake of his father's death ten years before.

Juliette Lewis is the spark that ignites a long simmering fire cracker in his ass and with his granddad's help he gets his mojo working. I like her a lot. She is one of those sexy 'one of the guys' types. Very hard to carry off well, which she does.

The performances are what count here as well as the wonderful lines.

The location is Minneapolis. I used to go there a lot. I ran right through a place that is shown a few times (in the distance) and (I think) close up underneath, in the fucking cold, on the creaky snow, across the river and into St. Paul. That's across the Mississippi, actually. I also ran back.

It is a great little picture and it should have gotten more notice than it did.

I will give it a 5 out of Netflix5.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?