<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, April 21, 2007

SAVANT

Today's NYTimes Best 1176 Film was Barry Levinson's

Rain Man (1988)

Tom Cruise is type cast as an arrogant asshole who discovers that he has a brother, Dustin Hoffman.

I love watching Hoffman work. He is meticulous. The Method.

In this, he has to get to us through the 'mask' of autism. He does this fitfully which of course is the thing about autistics; fitful occasions of clarity and presence.

Cruise does not have a chance against this onslaught of business but somehow it worked for me. I guess because I ended up watching Hoffman and luxuriating in his stuff. That means I didn't have to watch or depend on Cruise except to be the irritating fulcrum for Hoffman's innocence and eccentricity.

It is a buddy film, a road film, a transformation film (although I don't buy that Cruise really transforms—he is just a nicer asshole).

Levinson is really a good director and he knows how to make a story cook. He keeps this one moving.

Spoiler.

While you think something really bad might happen it does not. The brothers keep on cruising cross country (no airplanes for the autistic bro') and they meet a lot of situations through which, with luck or the kindness of others, they endure and bond.

Actually, it is the women, not Cruise, who gets through to Hoffman.

I don't mean to make this a critique of Tom Cruise.

Hoffman is worth watching anytime and this film affords him the same avenue that he limped with Ratso Rizzo.

I will give it a 4 out of Netflix5.

It might be a 3 if I get curmudgeonly about it but I will not.

The supporting actors (including an uncredited Levinson) are superb.

They will get the film over the 3-4 hump.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?