<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 26, 2007

GOING POSTAL

Today's NYTimes Best 1176 Film was

Il Postino / The Postman (1995)

This film is held in awe by all but the most cynical viewers.

It is relentlessly, originally positive right to (near) the end.

The actor/writer in charge delayed a heart operation until the filming was over then died the next day.

Tearjerker.

I must, however, weigh in with just a bit of that rare cynicism.

The characters are charming, the story inviting, the acting gentle and sweet.

I love Phillipe Noiret.

But give me a break on the ending which I won't spoil in case you haven't seen it and want to.

Concocted and cooked.

That said, I enjoyed the film throughout and would not hesitate to give it a 5 out of Netflix5 if they just hadn't had to mess around with the unlikely premise of the ending.

But you might like it.

I think it is a good idea to see this film without any idea of what it is about as I did.

When it came around I didn't go because of all the gushing.

It is good. But not that good.

I will give it a 4 out of Netflix5.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?