<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

DUMBING DOWN

Today's film flew under the radar. It was poorly promoted and undervalued by its own studio.

I have read some raves here and there and so I wanted to see it.

Idiocracy (2006)

is a satire on the state of the nation's declining collective intelligence and it is not optimistic.

The film is funny and great to watch.

Luke Wilson is perfect as the hero.

It is funny but also mildly disturbing because it roots out basic truths of our present way of life and hits us over the head with them. Of course, this is satire's job.

"See? This is what could happen if things keep on as they are"!

It is a feast of images and jokes. I suspect that we need another viewing to get all the visual gags. Maybe two.

But once around is enough for me.

The dumbing down is so far down that it is painful to watch and much of the cast are, I think, real morons. I didn't really like watching that aspect of it.

I will give it a 3 out of Netflix5 for novelty and its sobering premise. I am glad that I saw it but not overjoyed.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?