<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, January 22, 2007

BODY PAINTING

Today's NYTimes Best 1176 Film is Peter Greenaway's

The Pillow Book (1997)

It is a simple story told complexly. I enjoyed it very much.

Read the link for the outline.

It is so visual that I don't want to have to write about it.

There are layers upon layers here. Inset frames on top of an sometimes out of synch with the main frame.

There is calligraphy to the max. Oriental.

There are tons of human flesh, all wonderful to behold, even when it is not classically attractive.

Most of the calligraphy is on the flesh.

I really didn't want this film to end. But it did. I can't deduct points for that.

I will give it a 5 out of Netflix5.

By the by.

Two successive days of full frontal male nudity.

This is one of those funny Netflix queue coincidences.

You can be reasonably sure that you are going to see all of Ewan McGregor when he appears in a film. He and Keitel should form a club. (see yesterday's Piano writeup.

I am all for it.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?