<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, November 12, 2006

YAWN

Today's NYTimes Best 1176 Film was

Julius Caesar (1953)

with a host of Hollywood stars headed by Marlon Brando.

I find Shakespeare to be difficult and inaccessible. So, I begin in a hole that I have to be dragged out of.

It is like listening to classical music with the old instruments; interesting but unengaging.

I think that is why only the best actors can play him. It takes such energy to pull life out of the ancient text that only the most skillful can carry it out.

This production was marked by the presence of John Gielgud playing Cassius. I have not seen this great actor in his prime. We are more familiar with his late-in-life cameos. That certainly got me going. He was very good.

Then, there is Brando. Will he be Stanley or go legit? He does his best to be a classic actor. They say that Gielgud helped him out; coached him.

He does shine and a lot of that is his natural charisma.

The rest of it is just so much Hollywood stuff. OK but not thrilling.

I know that it is a Best Film. They told me so. I think because it is the best Shakespeare film out of Hollywood. But that is a limited pool.

I will give this a 3 out of Netflix5. It was OK. I feel like I fulfilled my obligation to see it and it is another notch in my plan to see them all. Like a dose of medicine though.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?