<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 13, 2006

PILL BOX

Every Monday I fill up my big pillbox with the week's supply of supplements.

These are not drugs. They are not prescribed. They are 'folk remedies' or 'preventive' applications of non-medical research.

I used to take none of these.

I figured that a good balanced diet would be enough and I think that I was right and would still be right.

Nevertheless, there is a literature that suggests otherwise and if you can be Hippocratic to yourself and do no harm, why not pay attention to it.

For years I read the magazine Mens Health. This was before it became a sex manual for insecure straight men. It was once even gay friendly. No more. Except for the pictures.

I still wonder if the straight men who need all the sex advice are having their troubles because they enjoy the buff man pictures a 'little bit too much'.

I digress.

In the old days there were a lot of articles in the magazine about supplements; the good, the bad, and the ugly. They were peppered with a healthy dose of skepticism

But some supplements made it past the screening and I took some of them on.

Now, I fill up the box once a week with a daily dose of Fish Oil Capsules (3) because we really do not eat enough fish; once a week instead of thrice. This way we get enough omega oils or whatever it is.

I put in one Calcium with Vitamin D pill for each day. I don't want to get matron's hump!

I know, it is only for the girls but still, men have a lot of bone fragility in old age as well.

Calcium is no good unless you get it with Vitamin D. Like milk, which we drink a lot of too. Maybe I am taking too much calcium but you almost cannot take too much.

Into the box for each day goes an Aspirin. Not a half a one. I think that is bunk. One Aspirin is good for a lot of things; thinning the blood, the skeezix, and the lumbago. Besides, buying a half of anything goes against my principles.

Once a day I take a Biotin for my splitting nails. The jury is out on this one but I think it makes a difference. I don't know. I have been taking them for 5 years and my nails seem stronger and I am afraid to stop. I also use man nail polish to give them some more strength. I don't know if that works either.

But neither one hurts me.

I also take a daily Vitamin pill. Centrum. The gray kind (grey?) with some thing that zips you along a bit more.

I never took a daily vitamin pill but when you get to my age you begin to look at the margins and the margins say "why not give yourself one more bit of an edge?".

How many is that? 9 pills counting all the fish oil caps. A big mouthful.

Do they work? Well I am still typing.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?