<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, November 11, 2006

AAAAAAAAAAARGH!!

Today's NYTimes Best 1176 Film was Wes Craven's

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

which was surprisingly good and sorta scary.

I was not bothered by the attacks on my ability to suspend disbelief. They rather worked to make this a bit camp and funny.

It is hard to tell with Craven's early work when he is having you on or taking you in or both.

This is a combo-teen-horror-ghoul-slasher film. The first of the Freddy Krueger movies.

John Saxon stars in a minor role. And this is Johnny Depp's film debut. With baby fat.

I liked it. It seemed very very loud. I had to work the remote to get the sound to my liking. Franklin slept through the whole thing though.

There is a 'sequel' ending to this which we can choose to ignore. This is what happens when the film turns out pretty good and they think they might have another one in them, so they make a quick add on to let you know that the villain still rides the airwaves.

You could quit while you are ahead. One ending is quite enough and the second one is not very scary or even disturbing.

What can I say? I have never ever gone to a film like this.

It is a bona fide B and yet, with some serendipity, they made a pretty good movie out of it.

Why are basements creepy?

I will give it a 3 out of Netflix5 because the adult actors were so wooden. I know the Mom is an alcoholic but usually alkies are more fun than that. Well, we think we are. Maybe that is how it is.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?